Have you ever bought a pint of cream for a recipe, and have a bunch left over? Make your own butter with the left overs. With our modern appliances, it’s so easy. Of course you can also make it by shaking cream in a mason jar, for about 10-15 minutes. A bit of a work out, but it works just as well as modern appliances. Here’s how you do it:
- Put 1-2 cups of heavy cream into a stand mixer or food processor. You want at least 35% fat content. The more fat the better.
- Blend on high for a few minutes. You want to go past the “whip cream” stage until the milk fat (butter) separates from the liquid (butter milk).
- Strain off the butter milk and save for another recipe.
- Rinse the butter in ice water until clear of buttermilk.
- Roll into a log and wrap in wax paper.